Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Biscuits

To go with the zuke soup, I felt I needed some homemade bread. But on a cold Sunday morning the last thing I wanted to do was spend all day baking bread so I found a recipe for some biscuits, which I thought would be fast, easy and tasty. I didn't know I could be so wrong.

I'd had this package of Bisquick mix in my pantry for ages now and had exactly enough to make one batch of "rolled biscuits". FYI - that is the last time I buy pre-mixed baking stuff like that. Sure they were fast and easy to make. But vile to taste. I ate one and threw the other 9 in the bin. Blech.

Bisquick Rolled Biscuits

2 cups Bisquick
½ cup milk

Heat oven to 450F. Mix ingredients until dough forms; beat 30 seconds. If cough is sticky, gradually mix in enough Bisquick baking mix (up to ¼ cup) to make dough easy to handle. Turn onto surface well dusted with Bisquick baking mix; gently roll in baking mix to coat. Shape into ball; knead 10 times. Roll ½ inch thick. Cut with 2 inch cutter dipped in Bisquick baking mix. Bake on ungreasted cookie sheet until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Makes 10-12 biscuits.

Drop biscuits:
Do not knead dough. Drop by spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet. Makes 10 biscuits.


Following that catastrophe, I opened up my Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook and found the perfect Sunday recipe. Here you go:

Nun’s Puffs recipe

½ cup butter
1 cup milk
¾ cup all-purpose flour
4 eggs
1 tablespoon sugar
Honey (optional)

Heat oven to 375°F.

Generously grease twelve 2 ½-inch muffin cups, including the edge and around the top of each cup; set aside. In a medium saucepan melt butter; add milk. Bring to boiling. Add flour all at once, stirring vigorously. Cook and stir until mixture forms a ball that does not separate. Remove from heat; cool for 5 minutes.

Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating for 1 minute with a wooden spoon after each addition or until smooth. Divide dough evenly among prepared muffin cups, filing cups about two-thirds full; sprinkle with sugar.

Bake in a 375° oven about 30 minutes or until golden brown and puffy. Remove from pan. Serve immediately. If desired, serve with honey.

Nutrition fact per puff: 137 calories, 10g total fat (6g sat. fat), 94mg chol, 114mg sodium, 8g carbo., 0g fiber, 4g prot.

Note from me: Super easy to make. Came out looking impressive. The taste however was a little rich for my liking. Soooo eggy. It was kind of like eating a quiche, or some freshly scrambled eggs. You can really only eat one before feeling slightly ill. I know this because I ate two.

No comments: