Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Baby Shower Preparations

One of my closest friends, Super C, is expecting a baby in September. Because I'm nice and bossy, I offered to host a baby shower for her. No problem. I like to organise. I like to make lists.

What I wasn't counting on was the sheer stupidity of so many of these baby shower web sites. What I wasn't counting on was the total "mom"-ness of these sites. Have these people lost their minds in having children? Why is it all so cutesy and cuddly and cringe-worthy?

Things that I will not be doing in organising this shower: buy hula-hoops, crayons and construction paper, draw a hopscotch board on the driveway (they don't even mention why any sane person would do this for a baby shower!). Nor will I buy 15 flavours of baby food, peel off the labels and test everyone's taste buds. (First prize more baby food?! Are they mad!?!) Ask guest to bring pink or blue note cards with their favourite mom secrets? I'm sorry, I can't go on. It just gets worse.

Cecilia - be prepared. This will be a grown-up "shower" for grown-up women. Apart from the fact that you are having a baby, I refuse to insult your intelligence and my own any longer, and the theme will be "no stupid baby stuff". Actually, you know what? I think I will rename this shower to a "pre-baby party". We will eat grown-up portions. No "baby-sized" food as so helpfully recommended to keep the theme going. We will not be serving pink or blue food, unless it just so happens to happen that way. No pastel coloured candies either.

The only thing that I will succumb to is a non-alcoholic drink. How about ... ?

Virgin Strawberry Margaritas

Juice of 1/2 lime, freshly squeezed
1/2 cup fresh strawberries
1/2 tsp sugar
One strawberry (for garnish)
Whipped cream (mandatory)

Add lime juice, 1/2 cup strawberries and sugar to blender. Blend on high until smooth. Pour into cocktail glass. Garnish with remaining strawberry, and top with a dollop of whipped cream.

Serves 1 (me!)

4 comments:

Sue Matthews said...

Did you read about the game that recommends that you melt chocolate bars into diapers and get your guests to try to identify what kind of bar it was? Repulsive.

Your way sounds much better!

Yvette said...

I dunno, I enjoyed some of those silly games at the only baby shower I've ever been to...

Blogger_Naut said...

Sounds tres exotic - Do they have the same type of game with different kinds of orange and apple juices?

Unknown said...

Quite frankly I think the party'd be a smashing success if we just played "Quarters". (well, except for you, C)