Sunday, June 21, 2009

Moving Day, Part 2

Here's a recap of yesterday:

Got half the van (borrowed from Mom’s work!) packed before Eric showed up. Then with his help we were able to get my locker emptied in a few short minutes and pack the rest of the van and Eric’s car. We were on our way to the new place by 9:45am. All the while hoping madly that the first delivery hadn’t shown up yet. Turned out fine – they hadn’t come by yet. Phew. Eric and I hadn’t been there more than 5 or 10 minutes when Marc and Valery showed up. And not long after that did the delivery of my bed (!), washer/dryer and dishwasher show up. My stove did come too but there was a small problem.

I was told there was gas at the condo so that’s why I bought a gas stove. Well … something got lost in translation between the owner and my agent to me. There is gas, but there is NO line to hook up to unless I get the plumber in to do the whole cut hole in the wall, install valves, etc. So, I decided (given that I know now what a plumber costs per hour) to leave the stove in the delivery truck and called customer service. They’ll take it back, no problem. On Monday though I’ll need to call my sales rep and let him know what happened and get a new electric stove ordered pronto. Surprisingly, I wasn’t too freaked out about this. Don’t know how, but I just shrugged it off.

Eric left shortly after that (thank you!). Marc was going to start on my dishwasher and the washer/dryer hook-ups but he also needed his tools and to stop at a hardware store to get a bunch of things. So off he went to get what he needed to get me set up. I was left on my own to start unpacking the kitchen. While he was gone my fridge got delivered. Marc was back by 1:30 and we worked until 5pm getting stuff sorted out. Took a long time but my dishwasher works! My washer and dryer work! My fridge is stable! And my bed is put together! Can’t wait to sleep on that. (Marc, for all this help, I owe you BIG time.)

I tidied up the boxes and bits and pieces lying around before leaving at 5:30.

Have decided that I will definitely be painting the living room and bedroom. I hadn’t quite decided but now I know for sure. The colour is too much on the yellow side for my liking. I will leave the office the way it is for now (light green) and hopefully be able to paint it before September. The bathroom has to be painted. The storage room is the same colour as the bathroom (pale blue). I'll leave that for now but it will be getting painted eventually.

My agent stopped by in the afternoon just to explain the million keys that were left and also how to set the alarm at night when I’m home. He also gave me a bottle of wine! Can’t wait to drink that!

All in all, turned out to be a pretty darn good day. Can't wait to finish up here (at the old place) and get all settled (in the new place). Not long now!

No comments: