Thursday, January 04, 2007

Icebox Orange Pistachio Cookies

This is a new recipe I tried this year. I like it. Like the citrus flavour and like the pistachios round the edge. Turned out better than I thought (i.e. the nuts stayed on the cookie). A keeper. After tasting one of these, Grandma said to me "Oh, Stephanie! What would I do if you were a bad cook?!" Well, Grandma, I don't know - what would you do? Probably tell me that I was a bad cook.

Icebox Orange Pistachio Cookies

¾ cup regular Becel margarine
1 cup granulated sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 tbsp finely grated orange rind
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
¼ cup corn starch
1 tsp salt
⅓ cup finely chopped toasted pistachios

Frosting:
2 ¼ cups icing sugar
¼ cup orange juice
1 tsp melted regular Becel margarine
Orange rind (optional)

Beat the margarine with the sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in the egg, orange rind and vanilla. Stir together flour, cornstarch and salt. Add tot eh margarine mixture and blend on low speed until just combined. Divide the dough in half and roll each piece into a log, about 1-inch (2.5cm) in diameter. Roll the logs in the pistachios to coat. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap; freeze for at least 30 minutes or until ready to use.

Preheat over to 350°F (180°C). Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Slice each log into 30 rounds. Place cookies about 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake, in batches, for about 10 minutes or until golden on the bottom. Cool completely.

Blend the sugar with the juice and margarine until smooth. Use a knife to spread a thin layer over each cookie. Garnish with orange rind (if desired).

Makes about 5 dozen cookies.

Note from me: I just bunged the orange rind straight into the frosting and swished it over the cookies with a pastry brush. Turned out fine.

I did try to find this online but so far no luck.

1 comment:

Sue Matthews said...

Ha! I love the conversation with Grandma.