Monday, January 22, 2007

Where did the weekend go?

Apparently all the cooking I haven't been doing over the last little while caught up with me. I spent the better part Sunday morning, afternoon and early evening cooking up all kinds of meals, soups and veggies for the coming weeks. So much in fact, that I have run out of plastic containers to store them all.

Before I get to the stuff I cooked yesterday, I still need tell you about one of my favourite curry dishes. Why sent me this recipe in 2000 (oh my god - I cannot believe it was that long ago!). Meant to post this last week after making a batch, but kept forgetting the recipe at home. I love this dish. It's so easy, it smells wonderful, it's filling and tastes better every day. Haven't been able to find the equivalent online. (Maybe Why can help out ...)

Chick Pea Curry

2 onions, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 Tbsp oil
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp paprika
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp ground coriander
2 x 439g cans chick peas, drained and rinsed
440g diced tomatoes
1 tsp garam masala

Heat oil in a medium pan. Add onion and garlic to pan; cook over medium heat, stirring, until soft. Add chili powder, salt, turmeric, paprika, cumin and coriander. Stir over heat 7 minutes. Add the chick peas and undrained tomatoes; stir until combined. Simmer, covered, over low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the garam masala. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Delicious wrapped inside a warm flour tortilla (or also a pita).

Note from me: I also like to add mushrooms to this. And by the way, the quantities for the tomatoes and chick peas don't have to be exactly those indicated. I usually use one can of chickpeas and 1 big can of the tomatoes and it all works out fine.

1 comment:

Yvette said...

Yes, this is definitely a wicked recipe. Even the kids love it. I use about the same amounts of chick peas and tomatoes so it doesn't get too liquidy, but that's just my taste. We do eat the warm tortillas with it, but I usually cut the tortilla into 4 so you can just scoop up the curry with it. It's easier for little people.