Monday, May 01, 2006

Secure

Managed to get a couple of things off my "To Do" list this weekend. Other than do a tonne of laundry (I'm embarassed to say how long it's been since I did laundry) and clean my condo (more embarassment), I did actually buy a security system for my window and with the help of my Dad, manage to install it. It doesn't look too horrible and it does seem very secure. Hopefully this will help with some sleep related anxiety.

While I was busy with my laundry, cleaning and running out to two hardware stores, it was quite late in the day on Sunday when I finally got around to my groceries. So although I didn't get to make the nice new dish I had planned on, I was able to improvise a little and make one of my favourite old stand-bys.

I originally saw Martha make these Stuffed Peppers and later found the recipe in Everyday Food. I modify it to suit my taste and eating habits. First of all I omit the olive oil and just use some non-fat cooking spray. Next I replace the chicken (meat, whatever) with more veggies, or sometimes add tuna. The recipe calls for diced tomatoes but I usually add a little of whatever other veggies I have around too (chopped mushrooms or zucchini, grated carrot). Finally, I usually just use whatever cheese I have in the house, but particularly like parmesan. The original recipe was quite high in fat (16.5 grams!) but I think my version is less than that (no oil, no meat, or if I use tuna that has less fat). These stuffed peppers are surprisingly filling - a half pepper is sufficient for me if I'm having a large salad on the side.

Sorry, didn't have time to make the chocolate chip cookies I'd promised last week, but now I that owe my Dad some cookies (for helping install the security system), I'll be forced to make them really soon.

No comments: