Friday, November 01, 2013

Day 1 - NaBloPoMo

I'm not selling drugs. I'm going to try and blog every day this month - National Blog Posting Month (NaBloPoMo)

1 November - Dia de los Muertos or Day of the Dead. Ever since I started learning Spanish (1987?) and more so since I lived in Mexico (1995 - 1997), Dia de los Muertos has intrigued me far more than Halloween:  "honoring the deceased using sugar skulls,marigolds, and the favourite foods and beverages of the departed and visiting graves with these as gifts." (Thank you Wikipedia)

In the same way that spirituality is different for everyone, for me the Day of the Dead is about remembering. I remember friends who died as teens. The friends' parents who died far too young. Family members who died unexpectedly. And lately, my grandparents dying - except for my incredible 99 year old Grandma.

The weather was all over the place here in Montreal today. Cloudy, stormy, sunny and windy. As usual, I took the metro home from work, and on my walk from the metro to home, the wind pushed up and around me. I watched the tree branches get tossed this way and that. Noticed the heaviness, and layers, of the clouds. It was the force of the wind against me though, that had me thinking:  maybe this wind is all the people in my life who have died and they are here, now, today, reminding me. Speaking to me from beyond the grave. Speaking to me, in their own way.  It wasn't a scary or sad feeling. It was warm. It was comforting.  I liked it. 

Remember the dead. And remember to live.

Peace.


2 comments:

raluca said...

we had strong winds too. really cool. i love listening to the wind. i was a bit afraid my greenhouses would blow away but everything was ok.

Yvette said...

Love the image you created.