Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Day 27 - Youth Unlimited

Last night I attended the annual fundraising dinner for Montreal Youth Unlimited.  My longtime family friends, Joan & Keith Wight, have been inviting me to this event for a number of years now and every year I am happy to go and hear and see how the kids at these centres are doing.

Their vision is this:  "We empower the youth of Quebec to attain their full-life potential…by responding to their relational, intellectual, physical, and emotional needs and by encouraging them to pursue a personal relationship with God through Jesus Christ."

Whatever your religion or set of beliefs, you cannot deny the good that is done by this organization and the concrete proof of the change in these kids' lives. It's been impressive in the past and this year was no exception.

What marked me in particular last night was a young woman, Natasha, who is now on staff with Youth Unlimited. She spoke briefly but well. She was dynamic, enthusiastic, and a joy to listen to. I don't know her background but she seemed to me to be a natural public speaker and leader. I will be anxious to how many lives she will change over the coming years.

Last night's theme was "one". Ultimately, all it takes is one person to change one other person's life.  I like to think that even I have been fortunate enough to make a difference in at least one child's life, and if I can, you can too.

No comments: