Saturday, November 23, 2013

Day 23 - Care packages

My BFF (Hi, Why! This is a picture of the two of us taken this past June) and I have a tradition that goes back a few years now. At Christmas, we don't exchange regular gifts but rather care packages. So today I'm going to tell you about what goes into a care package and how long it can take to put such a package together.

At various times throughout the year we will email each other and ask the other to put this thing or that thing on "The List". I like to keep a list going all the time so that I'm not stuck trying to think of fun items to package up for Why's Christmas package.

Here are a few items I usually include for Why (and I'm sure she'll correct me in the comments if I'm wrong):

  • Advil Cold & Sinus tablets
  • Cheezies
  • Reese's Peanut Butter Cups
  • Tea or coffee
  • Dishtowels
  • Specialty kitchen items
  • Books
  • Crackers or snack type treats
  • Spices
  • Cereal (Cheerios or Corn Bran)
  • Magazines
  • Mugs
  • Ugly present of any type (tacky thermometer, note paper, etc.)
Usually early in the summer I start looking at my list for Why and little by little, shop for a fun dishtowel or kitchen item. By October I badger her for any in particular she might like (crackers or chocolates or something). By November I should have the package wrapped and mailed to her but I am often late sending it. My poor ol' Why has been known to receive the Christmas care package in late January or even February. Terrible, I know.

This afternoon I finished buying all the little bits and pieces for Why's care package (no ugly present this year, sorry!) and will have it in mail to her on Monday. (Monday also happens to be her birthday and I have a special post planned about our friendship.) With any luck, she might get it by Christmas, and if not, it will be early in the New Year.

No comments: