Saturday, November 02, 2013

Day 2 - Coffee

2 November - An ode to coffee

If I was a poet, I really would write an ode to coffee.

Weekdays, I don't drink coffee at home. There's just no time in the morning before leaving for work. The coffee at work isn't so much coffee as industrial machine clogged with gunk to provide you with, some days more than others, a coffee inspired beverage. On average, I would guess I end up buying coffee from a shop once a week.

Weekends I drink coffee at home. It's the first thing that happens after I get up. Before a shower, before turning on the computer, before de-arming the alarm system. The kettle is filled and plugged in for coffee.

I must admit to spending a little more for coffee beans than I would normally budget for food, but it does make a difference. I figure it lasts a long time and it's only for weekends, so why not, right?

After pouring the hot water over the ground coffee, I let it steep for exactly 4 minutes before pressing the plunger on the French press. Then I pour the coffee over warm milk (yes, I am just like my Grandmaman) and, as they say, Bob's your uncle!  He actually really is, in this case, no joke.

That first sip is what wakes me up. No more morning breath. Now it's full on coffee breath. Taste buds are alive with the heat of the coffee, that mix of bitter coffee with creamy (fine - skim ...) milk. Soooo tasty going down. And a few minutes after that, I can almost feel my brain waking up. No more is it a question of time - generally a few hours - before I feel fully awake, now it's just minutes.

Wakey, wakey!

No comments: